General Travel Tips
- For your safety, it’s always better to stick to the touristic areas of each town or hire a guide.
- Avoid taking photos of people without permission. In general, Mexicans are uncomfortable with having their photos taken by foreigners, especially in the small towns and villages, and even more so among indigenous communities. Indigenous people may consider this a grave offense.
- Only consume bottled water and avoid buying food from street vendors. It’s best to avoid any vegetables and fruits you cannot peel. Don’t open your mouth in the shower and brush your teeth with bottled water as well.
- Leave the bling at home. You don’t need it and you don’t want to call attention to yourself.
- If you are traveling on the bus and no one else is surfing the web on their smart phone, there is probably a reason for it. In this case, “when in Rome” is the best advice.